Halloween is THREE days away which means everyone is getting their spooky costumes ready and stocking up on the most popular Halloween candy. Trick or treating is one of the most anticipated events of the Fall. Like many parents, the thought of the pillowcases full of sticky, hard candy is scarier than a haunted house. Too much sugary sweets can make your next time at the dentist not a fun visit.
Help keep your neighborhood kids (and sneaky candy eating parents) healthy and cavity free this Halloween with these Dentist approved Halloween candy and treats!
- Dark Chocolate: There’s no surprise dark chocolate is better than milk chocolate. It’s also a better alternative for teeth and health.
- Fruit: Fruit can be just as delicious as candy! If you hand out fruit, be sure it’s something with a peel; parents may not trust anything other than fruit with a peel.
- Powdery Candy: Even though powdery candy does contain a lot of sugar, it dissolves quickly, which prevents it from sticking to teeth. Examples of these types of candy are pixie sticks and fun dip.
- Popcorn: Everyone loves popcorn! Passing out popcorn in a cute Halloween-themed baggie can be spooky fun!
- Goldfish: The “snack that smiles back” can help save your teeth and keep your smile bright.
- Toys: Kids LOVE toys! If you can’t decide on a healthy alternative, toys such as bouncy balls, sticky hands, mini coloring books and puzzles are a great option!
It maybe tempting to sink your teeth into those sugary, sticky candy but having other alternatives other than candy can make your house stand out more and fun! You will be setting a great example on how to protect your teeth and be cavity free this year (parents will love this)! It all comes down to enjoying these sweet treats in moderation to avoid any potential damage to your teeth. Also, Don't forget the basics! Regular brushing, flossing and visits to your dentist are part of proper oral care and help keep the fangs healthy.
Wishing everyone a safe and fun Happy Halloween!